In response to an emerging corporate requirement for backup data management, the Asigra backup software includes Backup Lifecycle Management (BLM) Archiver as an option to the backup vault. BLM Archiver compliments and manages the backup data in the main vault in the following ways:
- The primary vault collects data from each individual client system (the client does the agentless backup of corporate servers on the remote sites).
- The primary vault then aggregates and globally de-duplicates the data it collects from the remote clients and stores this data.
- The BLM Archiver communicates with the primary vault and identifies through individual retention rules what backup data in the vault each organisation needs to use for DR purposes compared to the backup data that needs to be is stored for archiving purposes.
Organisations set policies that define when backup data”is archived based on its age”and whether or not it is unchanged in the primary vault storage. If the backup data meets this criteria, it is classified as archive data by the BLM Archiver and copied into the BLM Archive storage. By using BLM Archiver alongside the primary vault, organisations realise two major benefits
- Reduced costs. The licensing fees for backup data stored in the BLM Archive are lower than for backup data stored in the primary vault, and the storage infrastructure does not need to be as high performance as the primary vault, as a result the more backup data that an organisation can move into the BLM Archive, the lower their overall annual service costs will be.
- Improved recovery times. Since the BLM Archiver only archives data from the primary vault that meets the policy criteria organisations need only keep the most critical data required for rapid recovery in the primary vault, reducing the data held in a live backup set optimises recovery times for the data that remains in the primary vault.